Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Vintage Cowl

Completed: April 2009

Pattern: With the New Cowl Neck Line, in A Stitch In Time: Vintage knitting and crochet patterns 1920-1949, Vol. 1 by Jane Waller and Susan Crawford

Yarn: Elsebeth Lavold Hempathy (40% Hemp, 40% Cotton, 20% Modal rayon), #26, 4 x 153yd/50g

Notes: I loved this pattern from the moment I saw it and am very happy with the results. There is currently an error listed for the back piece, and I suspect there is an error in the sleeve/armhole directions–am waiting to hear back about that as of 4/28/09.

I would strongly recommend you buy extra yarn. I did use a different yarn than recommended, but the yardage is nearly identical. I made the smallest size, which calls for 4 balls, and I thought I would be safe since the next size up also called for 4 balls. But I had to make my sash 42” instead of the 34” the pattern says in order to make sure that the sash could tie and stay tied properly. I needed a whole ball just for that, and I had basically nothing left over.

I did a few modifications. The saddle shoulder is done in stockinette rather than rib, and I cast on 4 fewer stitches. The sash is done in 1x1 rib; it looks and acts like double knitting, except the ends tend to flare out. To combat this, I modified the construction a bit:
-CO half the required number of stitches
-Row 1: Kfb of each stitch
-Row 2: Establish p1, k1 rib
-Continue in rib pattern till desired length
-Last row: K2tog to end, casting off as you go.

Thanks to TechKnitter’s excellent instructions for doing the beginning and end of the neckline bindoff stitches, I got a beautiful edge with no ugly gaps. That, combined with the fact that the fabric blocked out well and did not have any meaningful stockinette curl, meant that I was able to forego the crochet edging that the pattern suggests.

The yarn was great, blocked beautifully, and had the right mix of drape and body at this loose gauge.

No comments: