Friday, December 29, 2006

Blues Tank



Completed: April 2005

Pattern: My first design!

Yarn: Sirdar Indigo #SH071 (100% cotton), 4 x 50g balls (96yds each). Yarn is designed to shrink by 10% lengthwise, and pattern takes this into consideration. I believe this particular yarn is discontinued, though, because I bought it on clearance at a store during my travels

Needles: US #6 circular

Gauge: 20 sts , 28 rows = 4” x 4” in stockinette

Size: XS (finished measurement 30” chest--it's meant to be close-fitting at 1" less than actual bust measurement)

Instructions:
Rib Stitch Pattern in the Round (multiple of 3):
Row 1: *K1, K the next st but keep it on the left-hand needle, p the same st tog with the next st, rep from * to end
Row 2: Knit

Rib Stitch Pattern Flat (multiple of 3 + 1):
Row 1: *K1, K the next st but keep it on the left-hand needle, p the same st tog with the next st, rep from * to last stitch, K1
Row 2: Purl

Cast on 150 sts

PM, join to knit in the round.

Knit in rib pattern in the round for 8 rows.
On last row, PM after 75 stitches (divides front and back).

Then knit in stockinette.
Dec 1 st before and after each marker on rows 7 (146 sts) and 14 (142 sts).
Knit even for 15 rows.
M1 before and after each marker on rows 36 (146 sts) and 43 (150 sts).
Knit even till piece measures 14” from beginning or till desired length.

Bind off 4 stitches before and after each marker to create armholes. Work front and back separately, flat (67 sts each--they are the same).
Dec by 1 st each side every other row till 49 sts remain each on front and back (make decreases 1 st from the edge, need to end up with multiple of 3+1 sts).

Knit in rib pattern flat for 8 rows.
On last row, place 4 stitches from either side of front and back on stitch holder (these will become the straps and strap attachment points).

To make straps, start at front.
Using stitches on stitch holder, work left and right straps separately.
Knit in rib pattern flat.
Continue till straps are desired length.

Finishing:
Using kitchener stitch, graft completed straps onto stitches that are on stitch holders on back. Weave in ends.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is nice as well!

The Gravelcat said...

Hi, I love the simplicity of this design! It looks like something I would actually love to wear regularly. I would like to make my first adult tank top after successfully making a toddler tank for my 2yo niece. If you don't mind, I'll try to make this for myself. I haven't knitted anything to fit myself yet, this will be my first, and I'm excited!

According to your tips, the ease should be 1" less than actual bust size. So I'll try to cast on enough stitches to make 33". Then I'll try to figure out the math. Do you have specific advice for armholes shaping for my size (34") that's different from what's mentioned here? I would appreciate it if you have tips to share.

I recently opened a knitting blog (knittipina.blogspot.com) and will post my progress there.

Thanks, Mona

mags said...

I think you are a superb knitter and very stylish too. I would love to get hold of some of the patterns used. Would this be possible? Mags

soknitpicky said...

Thank you for your comment, Mags. I didn't have another way to contact you. If you're interested in a particular pattern, email me at vysews@yahoo.com and I'll let you know if it's something I'm destashing.

Anonymous said...

Love this, especially the higher neckline! Thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What does "PM" in the instructions mean?

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous, May 18, 2914: "PM" means "place marker".

All the best, Fiona