Friday, November 21, 2008

Make It Modern Hoodie

Completed: November 2008

Pattern: Soft Linen Hoodie, Classic Elite Make It Modern, by Pam Allen

Yarn: Hemp for Knitting Cashmere Canapa (60% cotton, 30% cashmere, 10% hemp), #34, 9 x 120yd/50g

Notes: I really love wearing this top. It’s relaxed and casual, but the stitch pattern adds just the right amount of interest. I didn’t want it to be too slouchy, so I chose a size with no ease. I do have to be careful not to wear something too bulky underneath, but it’s very comfortable!

For the XS size, watch out for row 41. When the chart starts out with a k2tog, you have to be careful not to end up shifting your pattern over by one. That is because everywhere else in the chart, the 2nd st that you incorporate into a k2tog is directly above a yo from 2 rows below. However, if you start the row with a k2tog, you’ll end up incorporating that stitch above the yo as your 1st st in the k2tog. Just keep an eye on what your knitting looks like, and it’ll be obvious if you’ve shifted over. This may happen with other sizes too, but at a different place in the chart.

I added 2 rows of garter stitch at the bottom edges of the body and sleeves because I didn’t want a rolled edge.

I also slightly modified the hood construction. Rather than binding off the center stitches when it was time to shape the hood, I placed a stitch marker at the center point and did paired decreases on either side of the stitch marker (a total of 7 times). Then, I worked 1 WS row even. On the next RS row, I knit to 4 sts before the marker, k2tog, k2tog, ssk, ssk, and then knit to the end. Finally, I used a 3 needle bind off to join the 2 halves of the hood. No sewing! Yay!

Rather than finishing off the edges of the hood and front opening as directed, I just did a single crochet edging, starting the lower right border of the hood. Then, in the last stretch, I did the right edge of the opening, incorporating chains for the button loops as I went along. By doing that part last, it made it easier to rip back as necessary if I had to rework the loops.

As for the yarn, it sheds a lot! Some dye released when it was left to soak for blocking. It did block nicely, though–it got softer and it did not grow. The drape of the fabric is very nice.

No comments: