Saturday, June 28, 2008

Little Leaf Scarf


Completed: June 2008

Pattern:Little Leaf Scarf, Classic Elite Make It Modern booklet, by Pam Allen

Yarn: Debbie Bliss Wool Cotton??

Notes:
This is a cute project, but as many others have pointed out, you really need to pay attention to the size. The pattern calls for the main section to be 13-1/4”–and that’s not including the tapering that comes before you make the leaves themselves. This would have been far too big for my 12” neck. The fit you see here is from making the main section only 11”, but if I had to do it again, I’d probably make the main section 2” less than my neck measurement to get a fit closer to what is modeled in the pattern booklet. If you make it, remember to keep trying it on as you go!

I also made the slit smaller than indicated in the pattern–this makes it a bit more fiddly to put on, but once on, I think it looks better and stays better.

I consider myself a fairly decent pattern reader, but the way the leaf construction was described made me scratch my head for a bit before I figured it out. Also, it wasn’t clear to me why the pattern calls for the middle ribbing section to grow asymmetrically from the cast-on edge. I think it makes more sense to have the same length from the cast-on edge in both directions so that the transition is hidden, whether you choose to wear the leaves on your right side or your left.
Some people are bothered by the puckering on the seed stitch leaf, but I actually like it. If you push in the center and the side edges, making kind of a calla lily shape, it looks cute and stays put.

No comments: