Thursday, January 31, 2008

Boatneck Pullover




Completed: January 2008

Pattern: Cotton Classic Pullover, Tahki Yarns Free Pattern

Yarn: Knitpicks Swish DK #24046 (100% wool), 8 skeins

I've worked with this yarn before and really like it. Plus, hey, the price is right! It is soft and drapes well. It survived frogging pretty well. It is, though, just a bit splitty and once a ply gets pulled away from the rest, it's hard to get it to look just right again.

Notes: I really like this sweater and will definitely be wearing it quite a bit before the weather gets too hot! The pattern is straightforward, though I did some minor modications...
  • Used wool instead of cotton
  • Knit at a smaller gauge to size it down since the smallest size in the pattern would have given me much more positive ease then I generally like. I lucked out, though, because I got the same row gauge, so I didn't have to do a lot of calculations!
  • Knit in the round for the body up to the armholes, and for the sleeves
  • Added waist shaping
  • Reversed one set of cables on the front, back, and sleeves, so that the right and left sides would be mirror images of one another, rather than the same
  • After knitting round 1 of the neckband, a decrease round, I immediately did another decrease round of K3, k2tog, following Illana's example, except she did hers just before binding off. The idea is to keep the shoulders from slipping off. Also, I did 6 rounds of stockinette afterwards, rather than 4, so that there'd be enough to curl and match the bottom stockinette curl better.


    I think there were a couple of small errors with the sleeve directions, though one of them didn't affect me at all since I did the sleeves in the round...
  • Directions don't allow for an edge stitch, so when you join the ribbing, you'd have an awkward join since it won't match the rest of the k2p2 ribbing
  • On the increase row, you whould knit 25 stitches on either side of the cable area, rather than 26

  • 1 comment:

    Twisted Knitter said...

    It's gorgeous and fits like a dream!

    I love the design too.